Thursday, June 28, 2007

I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Scream


So I'm sitting here feeling disoriented and blue, and reading blogs to take me away from work I'm actually supposed to be doing, when I stumbled on Friar Yid's latest. And discovered this. And this.

A note about the Wiki article for the non-Hebrew-reader. It becomes easier to understand what's going on in the Biblical quotes when you realize that the word they are transliterating as qashath or qoshath, and identifying as an unarmed form of combat is the word for 'bow', as in 'the thing one shoots arrows with'.

This may be the funniest thing I've seen in months. I suppose it could be seen simply as a total rip-off, but there is such a long tradition in Jewish history of people claiming to be from far-off Jewish communities, descended from important people and carrying special ancient secrets, that I see the whole set of his claims as sort of an authentically Jewish scam, even if the origins of the martial art are clearly bogus.

And the outfits are way cool. I would like to point out, though, in the tradition of Jewish feminist midrash, that the claim is made that Abir allowed Jacob's sons to plow through the men of Shechem. You know, if Jacob had trained his daughter in the ancient Native Israelite unarmed art of combat, it's possible that none of this would have happened at all. I'm just saying.

No comments: