Sunday, May 04, 2008

What A Week

1. We had STAR testing all week.

2. But only in the morning. In the afternoons we were teaching classes as usual.

3. Also, a different homeroom was in charge of cooking breakfast for the school each morning, and the staff did it on one day. I did not feel happy about coming in to school early two days running to cook food for kids who should be eating their dang breakfast at home.

4. I have a cold.

5. It's my own fault, by the way. I said, aloud, in front of all the listening ears, "I've been teaching for four years. My immune system laughs at anything short of Marburg."

6. I suppose I was lucky. It could have been Marburg.

7. I slept for sixteen hours night before last. It's supposed to be a blessing to sleep on Shabbos, right? Do you get extra credit for marathons?

8. My students don't know how to use apostrophes.

9. I hate staff meetings.

10. And a kid set fire to a piece of paper in my classroom this week. This is a new one on me. I've had knives, vomit, stink bombs, blood, oh, all kinds of stuff, but fire is new. I sent the kid to the office, after much, "WHY? It's out now. OK, I won't do it again. But WHY do I have to go to the office?"

1 comment:

Friar Yid (not Shlita) said...

My favorite interaction with fire in school involved a near-miss in high school when a new classmate with adjustment issues stuck a bic lighter under my beard and tried to spark it, "just to see what would happen."

Under a sprinkler.

In the school library.

Oy.