Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Zionists and the BART Police

Last week, the juniors at my school had a retreat.

When they emerged at the end of the day, I asked if they had enjoyed themselves. The kids I talked to were rather subdued, and said it was OK, but emotionally wearing.

When I checked with one of their teachers about what had happened at the retreat, she mentioned that they had one speaker who talked about gang violence, one who talked about human trafficking and, wait for it, a Palestinian activist who discussed 'what's happening over there'.

I did a small flinch, but assumed that whoever it was, it was someone fairly reasonable, and dismissed it from my mind.

Today I was talking to one of our administrators who says it was a fiasco. He quotes the speaker as saying, among many other things, that 'the people who killed Oscar Grant' trained in the same place as 'the Zionist army'.

Gently banging head against wall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning experiences are good for Administators as well as students. Next time tell them there are reasonable people with both perspectives availible. - Mr. Bluejeans Sr.

Anonymous said...

Its so much worse than you can imagine. We had a few people attending a talk in Oakland where the local community was taught the same thing.
Please read about it here:

http://www.bluetruth.net/2009/01/oscar-grant-becomes-poster-boy-for.html

The local director of the ADL was also there.

His take:
www.adl.org/ADL_Opinions/Anti_Semitism_Domestic/JewishNewsweekly_021309.htm

Anonymous said...

The more I think about this, the more upset I get. I can get the school someone free, free, free.... for a more factual analysis. Do you think they'd be interested?


Dusty