Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Lemon Cake and Politeness

I had some good lemon cake today. Tuesday is the day we do not sell food to the kids at lunch--on other days they can order, according to the day of the week, sandwiches, pizza, burritos or Chinese--so the student government leaped in and started a fundraiser selling baked goods at lunch.

They are raking in the big bucks. All the baked goods are homemade by ringleaders Nesiyah and Avivi. Both girls are being raised by African-American balabustas of the highest order, are terrific cooks, and when they unload their cookies, homemade brownies, Rice Krispie treats, individual-sized vanilla and lemon bundt cakes with homemade frosting...!!! there is a kind of feeding frenzy among their classmates. Like at the Monterey Aquarium when they feed the deep-sea fish in the big tank. Nesiyah and Avivi just smile serenely, and stack up bills toward a class trip to Great America.

I had a piece of lemon cake today. It was like eating sunshine with frosting. Wow.

Meantime, I am trying to figure out how to depart the school in a dignified way, but cause Heckle and Jeckle just a little discomfort. It is not that easy.

I told Gittel that I had been fired, and she said "WHAAAT!" I told Relaxed Dude, and he said "That's ridiculous." I told Dr. Kalonymos, and he said "Well, they're ****ed", and revealed that he's not coming back next year either.

It's nice to have the support of my coworkers, I suppose.

No comments: